P.O.Box 128 • 4530 Lansing Rd.
Bancroft, MI 48414
8:00am - 5:00pm M-Th
8:00am - 4:00pm Friday
Closed on Sat and Sunday
Summer Hours (May 1 - Labor Day):
8:00am - 3:00pm M - Th
8:00am - Noon Friday
In its natural form, propane is colorless and odorless.
Manufactures deliberately add a chemical to give it a strong unpleasant smell. This helps alert customers to propane leaks, which can create a safety hazzard.
The odorized propane smells like rotten eggs, a skunk's spray, or a dead animal. Some people may have difficulty smelling propane due to their age, a medical condition, or the effects of medication, alcohol, tobacco, or drugs. Teach everyone in your home what propane smells like. Ask your retailer for a demonstration.
On rare occasion, propane can lose its odor. Several things can cause this including the following;
Since it is possible for propane to lose its odor you should respond immediately to even a faint odor of gas.
If an appliance valve or a gas line is left open, a leak could occur when the system is recharged with propane.
If your propane tank runs out of gas, any pilot lights on your appliances will go out. This can be extremely dangerous.
A LEAK CHECK IS REQUIRED. In many states, a propane retailer or a qualified service technician must perform a leak check of your propane system before turning on the gas.
LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS. Only a qualified service technician has the training to install, inspect, service, maintain, and repair your appliances. Have your appliances and propane system inspected just before the start of each heating season.
DO NOT TRY TO MODIFY OR REPAIR valves, regulators, connectors, controls, or other appliance and cylinder/tank parts. Doing so creates the risk of a gas leak that can result in property damage, serious injury, or death.
IF A PILOT LIGHT REPEATEDLY GOES OUT or is very difficult to light, there may be a safety problem. DO NOT try to fix the problem yourself. It is strongly recommended that only a QUALIFIED SERVICE TECHNICIAN light any pilot light that has gone out.
YOU ARE TAKING THE RISK of starting a fire or an explosion if you light a pilot light yourself. Carefully follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings concerning the appliance before attempting to light the pilot.